The Davis Musical Theater Company has announced that auditions will be held this month for a virtual performance of “Shrek the Musical”.
Auditions will take place on Zoom on March 28 and 29 at 7:30 p.m. with callbacks scheduled for March 31. The room will be open on July 9.
“Shrek the Musical” is a main stage performance directed and choreographed by Jan Isaacson. Ryan Lee is the Musical Director of this fun, family-friendly musical directed and choreographed by Jan Isaacson, a musical directed by Ryan Lee and subscribed by Suzy Goldschmidt in honor of David Goldschmidt.
“” Once upon a time there was a little ogre named Shrek … “. So begins the story of an unlikely hero who finds himself on a life-changing journey alongside a sarcastic donkey and a fiery princess who resists his rescue, âthe hearing announcement said. “Add in an angry villain, a cookie with an attitude, and over a dozen other fairytale misfits, and you’ve got the kind of mess that calls for a true hero.” Luckily, there’s one on handâ¦ and his name is Shrek. Recommended for the whole family. â
Auditions are open to anyone and those who audition must be prepared to sing 18-36 bars of a musical theater song (not from this show). Since the Zoom audition is over, the theater will not provide piano music and require that each person bring their own accompaniment, such as a piano track recording or a karaoke version of YouTube.
To schedule an audition for the following roles, visit dmtc.org.
Distribution of characters:
- SHREK: (Male) – The main character in our story. A large, green and terrifying ogre who lives alone in a swamp. He sets out on a journey to rid his country of fairytale creatures and, along the way, falls in love with Fiona. Starts out as a cranky hermit, but reveals his layers and eventually becomes the hero. Excellent singer and actor.
- PRINCESS FIONA: (Female, Adult) – The beautiful princess of Far-Far-Away, she transforms into an ogre every night at sunset. Saved by Shrek and ends up falling in love with him. Eccentric, straightforward and multi-talented, she is no ordinary princess. Excellent singer and actor with excellent comedic timing.
- DONKEY: (Male, adult) – A talking donkey who joins Shrek on the run from the Farquaad guards. Quite chatty, he isn’t deterred by Shrek’s appearance and practically imposes himself in his good graces. Easily scared and arrogant, but also optimistic at heart. Excellent singer and comedic actor with a huge personality.
- LORD FARQUAAD: (Male, Adult) – The comical and ruthless ruler of Duloc. He is looking for a princess to marry to become king. Has an intensely unfair bias against fairytale creatures that stems from resentment from her father. egocentric, lonely and cruel. Excellent singer and comedic actor. The actor should be able to play this role on his knees throughout the show.
- DRAGON: (Female, Adult – Viola with Big Belt) – A dragon who has been tasked with guarding Princess Fiona in her secluded castle. She ends up falling in love with Donkey and tries to keep him there forever. Imposing and flirtatious, but tired of her glorified babysitting job. She sings “Forever” with her Knight backing vocals.
- PINOCCHIO: (Male or Female, – Tenor with falsetto (Male) or Soprano / Viola (Female)) – The leader of the fairytale creatures. Although portrayed by a living actor, Pinocchio is an animated puppet whose nose grows whenever he lies. Full of daring with a penchant for lies, he leads the troupe of Fairytale Creatures in the musical numbers “Story of My Life” and “Freak Flag”.
- YOUNG FIONA: (Female, 8-12 years old – Soprano with strong belt) – Princess Fiona as a little girl. Sing a solo in “I Know It’s Today” with Teen Fiona and Fiona.
- TEEN FIONA: (Female, Teen – Soprano with strong belt) – Princess Fiona as a teenager. Sing a solo in “I Know It’s Today” with Young Fiona and Fiona.
- Set: Fairytale Creatures (Big Bad Wolf, Three Little Pigs, White Rabbit, Fairy Godmother, Peter Pan, Wicked Witch, Ugly Duckling, Three Bears, Mad Hatter, Humpty Dumpty, Elf, Dwarf, Three Blind Mice); Guards, Knights, King Harold, Queen Lillian, Papa Ogre, Mama Ogre.